Kathy McCraine has been involved in ranching, writing, and photography most of her life. Born in Texas, she grew up on a ranch in Arizona and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Arizona in Journalism and Art. In a career spanning over three decades, she has:
- Edited the Record Stockman, Brangus Journal, Arizona Cattlelog and Arizona Quarter Horse magazines.
- Worked as an Associate Editor at Western Livestock Journal.
- Founded Livestock Communications (1978), one of the first advertising agencies in the U.S. to specialize in livestock.
- Founded and published the Arizona Rancher (1993-1996), a bi-monthly magazine devoted to the Arizona cattle and horse industries.
- Published, wrote and illustrated three successful cookbooks, including Camouflage Cuisine (1984), which has been in print for 26 years.
- Edited and illustrated Keepers of the Range (2007), the 100-year history of the Arizona Cattle Growers' Association.
- Written and photographed chapters for the Western Horseman book, Legendary Ranches (2007).
- Did the photography for Terry Greene Sterling's 2010 book, Illegal: Life and Death in Arizona's Immigration War Zone.
- Published, wrote and did photography for the 2010 cookbook, Cow Country Cooking: Recipes and Tales from Northern Arizona's Historic Ranches.
- Won numerous awards in writing, photography and advertising through the national Livestock Publications Council.
- Written freelance articles for such magazines as Western Horseman, Range, Arizona Highways, Ranch & Reata, American Cowboy, Thunderbird Magazine, Latina, and Acadiana Profile.
- Written a Ranch Cooking Column in Ranch & Reata magazine.
- 2014-2015 "Trappings of the American West," photography exhibit, Museum of Northern Arizona, Flagstaff, Arizona
- 2014 Phippen Museum of Western Art, photography exhibit, Prescott, Arizona
- 2013-2015 "Cowgirls With a Camera" photography exhibit, Desert Caballeros Museum, Wickenburg, Arizona
- 2013-2015 "Cowboy Classics" photography exhibit, Arizona National Livestock Show, Phoenix, Arizona
- 2015 Arizona Hereford Association Cattleman of the Year
McCraine and her husband, Swayze, own and operate Camp Wood Cattle Company and the 7 Up Ranch near Prescott, Arizona, where they run 1,200 head of commercial cows and yearlings, and raise registered Quarter Horses.